A series of intense storms and subsequent flooding across Indiana has resulted in at least six deaths since the severe weather began on August 11. State Department of Homeland Security spokesperson Liz Woods confirmed that the victims included a 4-year-old boy, three women, and two men.
The young boy was killed on Tuesday in Jennings County when strong winds caused a tree to collapse through his bedroom. Reflecting on the tragedy, Deputy Chief Cody Low told a local ABC affiliate that the event was “obviously unexpected” and emphasized the community’s need to support one another through the difficult recovery process.
Other fatalities occurred as a result of the dangerous conditions. In Delaware County, authorities recovered the body of 19-year-old Matthew Morey on Saturday, three days after he reportedly jumped into the surging Mississinewa River with friends. Also in Delaware County, officials discovered the body of 58-year-old Stephanie Sallee and her dog in a cornfield near her vehicle on Saturday. Investigators believe she was driving on a flooded roadway when her car was swept away.
The impact of the weather has been historic, particularly along the White River. In the communities of Anderson and Noblesville, the river crested at over 24 feet, or 7.32 meters, eclipsing previous records established in 1913. Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett noted that the capital city is experiencing its most severe flooding in more than three decades.
As of midday Sunday, approximately 130,000 utility customers remained without power, a significant improvement from the peak of 300,000 outages reported earlier. While the National Weather Service warned that flash flooding and heavy rain remained possible in central Indiana, some areas began to see relief.
In Hamilton County, just north of Indianapolis, officials expressed cautious optimism. Board of commissioners president Christine Altman stated during a Sunday briefing that the lack of rain and receding water levels were positive signs. While the county reported no fatalities, officials are currently evaluating whether a major bridge damaged by the floods requires extensive repairs or a total replacement.
Emergency response operations have been extensive throughout the region. In Indianapolis, the Department of Public Works prepared to reopen city floodgates on Sunday following the evacuation of hundreds of homes near the river and its canals. First responders utilized boats to rescue residents stranded by the rapidly rising water, and emergency shelters have remained operational to assist those displaced by the disaster.
As the state moves into a recovery phase, officials continue to monitor water levels and assess infrastructure damage. While the immediate threat of the highest crests has begun to subside in some areas, the state remains under alert for lingering weather risks as the cleanup efforts intensify across the affected counties. The report also notes that nearly 130,000 utility customers statewide remained without power by midday Sunday, down from a peak of around 300,000, according to Woods and the online utility tracker PowerOutage.us. The report also notes that indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett said the flooding was the worst the capital city has seen in more than 30 years. The report also notes that there’s nothing we can say that is going to make it any better. The report also notes that who was headed to Purdue University, and warn of the dangers of swollen rivers, family and friends gathered earlier in the week at the bridge to remember the recent high school graduate.
Source: Gulf Today























































































