Iranian authorities have indicated a possible shift toward a more aggressive military posture in the ongoing conflict with the United States, coinciding with the official expiration of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the two nations. While the agreement had largely collapsed following a resumption of hostilities last month, its formal conclusion on Monday has prompted high-level warnings from Tehran regarding future military conduct.
Brigadier General Yadollah Javani, who heads the political bureau of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), stated on Sunday that his forces are prepared to undertake whatever actions are necessary to defend the country. “The enemy started the war and our efforts have been defensive, although they might take on an offensive aspect,” Javani told state television. While he did not provide specific details on these potential measures, he cautioned opponents to anticipate “strategic surprises.”
This rhetoric follows a recent consolidation of power by Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei, who has appointed several IRGC veterans to senior security roles. Khamenei has explicitly called for a strategy that balances “maximum deterrence” with the capacity for “powerful offensive operations.” Major General Ahmad Vahidi, the newly appointed commander-in-chief of the IRGC, claimed that Iranian forces have successfully “brought to its knees the most heavily-armed army in world history” since the outbreak of intense fighting on February 28.
The diplomatic landscape remains complex. Parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf described the now-expired MoU as a “document of pride and victory,” asserting that Iran has emerged politically and militarily successful from the conflict. Meanwhile, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei emphasized that the expiration of the agreement holds no special significance for the war effort or ongoing negotiations with Oman regarding the Strait of Hormuz. “We decide based on our evaluations of what guarantees national interests and security,” Baghaei stated, noting that talks with Oman have faced delays due to legal complexities and external interference.
Tensions remain centered on the Strait of Hormuz. US President Donald Trump recently reiterated claims that Iran had been defeated, describing a “wall of steel” blockade and suggesting the waterway could soon be declared US territory. Although the White House later characterized the president’s remarks as a joke, the reaction in Tehran was swift. Army chief Amir Hatami announced a bounty of $30,000 for the capture or killing of any US soldier involved in ground operations on Iranian soil, with the reward doubled for women who achieve such a feat.
Military analysts and Iranian officials have spent recent weeks debating the feasibility of a US ground invasion. Mohsen Rezaee, secretary of the Supreme National Security Council, suggested that the US previously considered ground operations but abandoned them due to “half-baked plans.” Rezaee argued that a successful landing to seize the Strait of Hormuz would require at least 100,000 troops, a logistical challenge complicated by the need to navigate the Zagros Mountains and Fars province.
In preparation for potential incursions, Iran has reinforced its southern islands and coastal areas with rapid-response units. Army spokesman Mohammad-Reza Akraminia confirmed that the military’s primary objective is to prevent foreign forces from establishing a foothold. “If the Americans enter one of our islands, we will certainly target them on our own islands, let alone on other countries’ soil,” Akraminia said.
Beyond the immediate maritime theater, the IRGC has also increased its focus on internal security and regional threats. The organization has bolstered defenses against separatist groups near the borders with Iraq, Turkiye, Pakistan, and Afghanistan. This includes ongoing missile and drone strikes targeting armed factions based in Iraqi Kurdistan.
The threat of escalation extends to infrastructure as well. IRGC spokesman Hossein Mohebbi recently identified US and regional energy networks, power plants, and digital systems as potential targets for retaliation should the US strike Iranian civilian infrastructure. Similarly, some hardline factions have discussed the possibility of targeting US interests in Bahrain and Kuwait if an invasion occurs.
Despite the heightened rhetoric, there is currently no public evidence suggesting that the US military is planning a ground operation within Iran. The conflict has primarily been characterized by air strikes, with Rezaee noting that US Central Command focused its July operations on hitting approximately 50 cities across 15 provinces rather than targeting Tehran directly.
The Iranian government maintains that the Strait of Hormuz will only fully reopen once Washington fulfills the commitments outlined in the June MoU. As the situation evolves, the focus remains on the delicate balance between defensive posturing and the potential for new, unpredictable military initiatives. The report also notes that “Our hands are open in terms of reaching the aggressors and they will become more open through our initiatives,” Hatami said, referencing recent Iranian attacks on US forces in Jordan. The report also notes that instead attacking about 50 cities in 15 provinces, rezaee said that the US Central Command had refrained from hitting Tehran or northern Iran during the two-week flareup in fighting in July. The report also notes that he believed that the purpose of the air raids was to prepare for a ground assault to take control of the Strait of Hormuz and potentially reach nuclear facilities in Isfahan, where highly-enriched uranium is suspected of being buried under the rubble of US strikes. The report also notes that bridges, roads, maritime control towers, radar and other coastal installations, and military facilities were struck to cut off logistical supplies to southern Iran, Rezaee noted. The report also notes that “They had not calculated that to land troops for the Strait of Hormuz, it’s not doable with 40,000-50,000 soldiers, you must bring at least 100,000 people,” he said. The report also notes that “You must cross the Zagros Mountains and be able to pass the Fars province.”. The report also notes that they include the critical oil export terminals on Kharg Island. The report also notes that “It has been proven many times that the Islamic Republic of Iran is not a party to devise its policies under pressure, ultimatums and deadlines.
Source: Aljazeera





















































































